Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tom's Two Cents : Lonesome Dove

A Western for All Time


In the late 80's while I was teaching Intro to Lit at NTCC I was able to devote one whole semester to a single blockbuster of a novel called Lonesome Dove.  Written by Texan Larry McMurtry and published in 1985, it hit the TV screens later in a remarkably fine dramatization starring Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.  In those days a TV show was not automatically released on DVD simultaneously with the series, so I had a period of time to capture the novel with the series as stimulus but not a substitute for the novel itself.

 For at least a couple of years I had a captive audience of students who actually became entranced with reading a big long book; 945 pages in paperback!  One of my students actually wrote on her last paper, "Lonesome Dove is a book I wished would never end!"-- quite a statement, even from a book lover.

Lonesome Dove has pretty much everything you could ask for--as main characters, a couple of ex-Texas Rangers off on a last big cattle drive; Call and Gus are the Yin and Yang of Western heroes with a whole gang of other colorful characters thrown in.  Plus not one but two marvelous female characters, Lorena and Clara, to provide ample diversion and love interest.  LD is both epic and tragic in scope with a rich gold vein of humor running through it from start to finish.  I challenge you not to love it!

Next time: our greatest American historical novel - Gone With the Wind.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't read the book when it was first published, but did see the mini-series which was so well done, I couldn't imagine the book would have much more to offer. I was mistaken. Last year I finally read the book and like Tom's student, did not want it to end. The richness of the writing and the characters makes for a most memorable reading experience. It quickly moved to the the top of my most favorite books list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this at Mr. Tom's recommendation. I'm about 170 pages in and really starting to enjoy it. I've never seen the mini-series. I might have to check that out after I've finished the book.

    ReplyDelete