Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Julie's Journal : Sausage Cheese Pinwheels

Last week, we had our Holiday Craft Show and Recipe Exchange.  As I've said before this is one of my favorite events because of all the new recipe and craft ideas we get.  This year, the recipe I brought is very simple.  Like most new things I'm trying lately, I first saw this recipe on Pinterest.



Sausage Cheese Pinwheels

3 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut into pieces
1/3 - 1/2 c. milk (I actually used more - probably closer to 3/4 c.)
1 lb. pork sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled small
2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
 
  1. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly.  Add milk as needed until a soft, but not sticky, dough forms.  Knead one minute.
  2. Divide dough in half and roll out.  Top with a layer of sausage and a layer of cheese.  Roll up jelly roll style and slice into pieces, about an inch thick.  Place onto cookie sheet lined with foil and greased.  Repeat with second batch.
  3. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes, until golden brown.
Everyone agreed that these turned out well.  They were very simple to make and reheated very well.  I used homemade sausage and a Colby-Jack cheese mixture that I had on hand.  I'm sure any variation of cheese and sausage or bacon would work beautifully.  If you try them, let me know how they turn out!!
 

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try these,looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete