Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Robert Frost

A few weeks ago, when I polled library staff about their reading habits, I asked about a favorite poet.  Several of us mentioned Robert Frost.  We are all familiar with the poem The Road Not Taken, but Frost has many other good poems.  I've picked just a few of his shorter poems to share here.



Good Hours
 
I had for my winter evening walk -
No one at all with whom to talk,
But I had the cottages in a row
Up to their shining eyes in snow.
 
And I thought I had the folk within:
I had the sounds of a violin;
I had a glimpse through curtain laces
Of youthful forms and youthful faces.
 
I had such company outward bound.
I went till there were no cottages found.
I turned and repented, but coming back
I saw no window but that was black.
 
Over the snow my creaking feet
Disturbed the slumbering village street
Like profanation, by your leave,
At ten o'clock of a winter eve.
 
 
A Time to Talk
 
When a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don't stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven't hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.
 
 
Fire and Ice
 
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great,
And would suffice
 
 
The library has five of Mr. Frost's books available for checkout.  I am considering putting up a poem every month or so as an addition to this blog.  What do you think?

Source:  "Robert Frost : Selected Poems", 2011, Fall River Press

No comments:

Post a Comment