Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Julie's Journal : Book Challenges

It's hard to believe that 2015 is winding to a close.  For me, among other things, that means that I need to look at finishing up 2015's book challenges and pick new ones for 2016. 

In 2015, I chose three book challenges.  The A-Z challenge, the Back to the Classics challenge, and a TBR challenge.  To read further about my decision to participate in these three challenges, click here.  Back in August, I made this post, in which I announced that I had finished the A-Z challenge. 

My Back to the Classics challenge list is below.  You can see that I finished all but one category. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be reading a 500+ page classic by the end of the year.


My third challenge was a TBR challenge of my own making, in which I wanted to read 12 books from my To-Be-Read shelf.  I failed miserably at this challenge, reading only 6 books from my TBR shelf.  I guess my constant access to new reading material is my excuse for not finishing this one!


So - onward and upward!  I have been researching book challenges for 2016 and have chosen four to participate in this year.

First, I am going to do the Back to the Classics challenge again.  The categories are a little different this year and I'm excited about finding titles to fit them.  Along with a few more categories, I need a classic:

  • in translation
  • by a non-white author
  • adventure
  • fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian
  • detective
  • banned or censored
  • short stories
Then, I am going to do two challenges from purpleinkstudios.net.  The first is her Anne of Green Gables challenge, which is as simple as it sounds.  I am to (re-)read all 8 books in the series this year.  The second is her Grown Up Reading challenge.  For this, I am to read books that fit into 20 different categories she has chosen.  They include things like, a biography, a book about art, a book about religion/theology, and a book that won the Pulitzer prize.  For a full list of the categories, click here.  

Finally, I am taking the PopSugar Ultimate Reading Challenge.  This is also a category based challenge, with a list of 39 categories.  The include categories like, a book finished in one day, a graphic novel, a book of poetry, and a murder mystery.  For a full list of the categories, click here.  

I hope to find some books that will fit more than one of the categories.  What do you think?  Do you think I will be able to finish these challenges?  

No comments:

Post a Comment