Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Julie's Journal : Full Circle

I was doing some cleaning out at my house last week.  I opened up a folder and found something that I knew existed, but hadn't see in years.  It is a clipping from the Mt. Vernon Optic Herald from the July 31, 1986 issue.  Long before I ever dreamed of becoming a librarian or working at Franklin County Library, I was a top reader at our summer reading program. 



It is incredibly meaningful to me to have such a  long history with the library.  I don't just work here, I grew up here.  I spent my summers here.  I remember coming in every week during the summer with my parents and checking out as many books as I could carry.  I'd have them all read by the time we came back the next week.  I used the library regularly until I moved away after high school.  

When I moved back to Mt. Vernon in 2008, I came by the library and asked Mrs. Sue if she knew of anybody in town that was hiring.  As it happened, one of the library clerks had given her notice that very day.  By the next week, I was behind the desk.  In October, I will have worked here 10 years, and I have no plans of stopping.  Franklin County Library is still one of my favorite places in Mt. Vernon!

No comments:

Post a Comment