Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Julie's Journal : A Place to Have Questions Answered

This past summer a college student asked if she could interview me, along with our Director, Lisa, and a few other people for an education class she was taking.  I don't remember everything we discussed, but one of her questions really stuck with me.  She wanted to know what I wanted people to think about when they think of the library.  I gave her an answer, but I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about the question since - there are so many ways to answer it!  I could talk about books and reading and literacy.  I could talk about free and open access to information, which is the mantra of the American Library Association.  I could talk about programming for children and adults and becoming the heart of the community.  All of those are good things.  However, the thing I most want people to think about when they think of the library is this:  It is a place to have questions answered!  

We are in the business of providing access to information which involves answering lots and lots of questions.  We cannot, of course, provide answers to every question off the top of our heads, but we can use our skills to find the answers you need or find the right person to ask your questions of.  What kinds of questions get asked at the library?  I have answered questions about:


  • Cooking - How do I make chicken and dumplings?  I need a good recipe for meatloaf.  
  • Computers - Is this a good price for a new laptop?  I need to learn Excel; can you teach me?  How do I set up an email account?
  • Crochet - Why are my edges not straight?  How do I tell where my rows and stitches are?
  • 3D Printing - Can you make a part for my kayak?
  • Contact Information - Can you find an address or phone number for my long lost sister or friend or classmate?
  • Phones and Tablets - Can you set up Facebook on my device?  How do I block a number?  Do I need to update my device?  Can you recommend a tablet in my price range?
  • Local Life - Where do I go to register to vote? Renew my Driver's License? Buy a copy of the Dallas Morning News? Get a good burger?
  • Science, Math, Reading, Music - Can you help me with my homework?
  • Genealogy - I refer genealogy questions to the Franklin County Genealogical Society down the street.
  • Death and Taxes - We usually can't answer these questions for legal reasons, but I CAN help you find the people who can answer them!


    and of course - 


    • Books - What new book do you recommend?  Can you recommend an author who writes psychological thrillers? Inspirational Romance?  True Crime?  What is a good book to read aloud to a Kindergartner? 
    • E-books - Can you help me access e-books on my device?  How do I place a hold on an e-book?  
    • Movies - Which movie won the academy award last year?  Is this movie appropriate for the whole family?  I need a good comedy; what do you recommend?

    This is just a sampling of the questions we have been asked.  As you can see, questions can be about anything from light and entertaining to truly life changing.  Answering questions is one of my favorite things to do at work.  If I can find the answer to something that you've been having trouble with, I can go home at the end of the day feeling like I made a difference in your life.  

    So if you've got a question, a conundrum, a curiosity, or a query, come on in and we'll see if we can figure out an answer for you!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment