Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Staff Picks : Julie

 Julie's October Picks



The Girls in the Stilt House
, by Kelly Mustian - Ada is white and Matilda is black living in Mississippi during the 1920's. Both are living very harsh lives, but for different reasons. They come together when Matilda saves Ada's life by killing Ada's father. The book has been advertised as being similar to Where the Crawdad's Sing and I agree that it has some of the same feel. My only issue with the book is it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong does, especially for Matilda. Realistically, maybe only a few of those bad things would happen at one time. I enjoyed the story, though, and was happy with the resolution.




The Madness of Crowds
, by Louise Penny - I read this on the recommendation of my mom - she's pretty reliable in giving good recommendations! A speaker with controversial ideas about eugenics is speaking at a small university. When an attempt is made on her life, Inspector Gamache must try to figure out the ins and outs of what happened while putting aside his own disgust with her ideas. While this is the most recent book in the Inspector Gamache series, it is the first I have read. I have the first one on hold now on Libby so I can go back and read the series from the beginning.




The Lights of Sugarberry Cove
, by Heather Webber - Sadie, her sister Leala, and their mother are struggling with their relationships with each other and with their significant others. They live around a lake and the festival of lanterns where everyone in town makes a wish is soon. I have enjoyed all of Heather Webber's books. They all have fun small town settings and a hint of magic.



No comments:

Post a Comment