Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Julie's Journal : Are you a writer?

Franklin County Library has a few patrons who are published writers and several more who are aspiring authors.  Our own Chance Crane is published, with more projects constantly in the works.  Lisa has also dabbled in writing at different times in her life.  I am not much of a writer, although I'd like to be.  Writing this blog is as far as I get! 

When I think about writing one of two things stop me.  Either I don't feel like I have a good topic to write about or I am not sure how to convey my thoughts on paper so that they come alive for the person reading them.  I so admire authors whose words draw me into their stories.

Recently, Jeanie Pamplin, another published author and member of the Northeast Texas Writer's Organization (www.netwo.org), dropped off a few magazines. 

 
I flipped through the magazine and found it very interesting.  In fact, hopefully the library will offer it for check out soon!  In particular, there was an article about the art of describing everyday things.  The author wrote a compelling essay about a set of metal measuring spoons from her childhood.  She not only described what they looked like, but also what they felt like and what memories she had that were associated with them.  She made the simple measuring spoons come alive for me.  It inspired me to perhaps try describing something as well.  It's not as simple a task as it seems at first glance.  First, of course, I have to find something to describe!
 
I then went to the Poets & Writers  website and discovered that they offer weekly writing prompts on several topics.  I found all of this week's prompts intriguing.  Maybe they'll get me writing something! 
 
What inspires you to write?  

No comments:

Post a Comment