Thursday, January 28, 2016

Chance's Corner: #JesusTakeTheStone

Late last Friday (Jan. 22nd), I was sitting back, relaxing and watching an early-access digital copy of Spectre. James Bond was racing down the streets of Rome, attempting to escape the clutches of the big, brutish henchman named Mr. Hinx, and suddenly... a sharp pain struck me in my lower left back. I rose from my seat and nearly collapsed in the floor. I have a very high tolerance of pain, but this time tears were shed as I wallowed. I knew 007 couldn't even save me.


A Kidney Stone
I was taken to the ER in Mount Pleasant, where I sat in the waiting room for two hours in agony. I started divvying out my personal possessions to my loved ones as I took my dying breaths, until, finally, I was called back. I had a CT scan done, had some blood taken, gave a urine sample and was hooked up to an IV. As the last hydrating drips entered my veins, the doctor entered the room with a solemn face and hit me with the facts. I had a kidney stone (a built-up calcium deposit) ripping the lining from the tube between my kidney and the bladder to shreds. Luckily, it was almost to my bladder, and I was promised the pain would end very soon. 

After sitting and sleeping in the fetal position for three days, the pain has finally subsided. I'm a little sore and drowsy from the painkillers, but my appetite is back and I'm feeling much, much better. I'm not going to be participating in the Summer Olympics in Rio de Janerio this year, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment