Thursday, May 26, 2016

Chance's Corner: Florence + The Machine

I have a short list of musicians I'd like to see in concert, and last week my list got even shorter when I got to see Florence + The Machine live and in-person. Florence + The Machine is an English indie rock/alternative band that caught my attention way back in 2008 with the release of their single "Dog Days Are Over". Since then, Florence + The Machine has soothed my soul with other hits such as "Sweet Nothing", "Shake It Out", "Only If for a Night", "Breath of Life", "Seven Devils" and their contribution to The Great Gatsby soundtrack "Over the Love".

As all my concert experiences have been, thus far, I've gotten to sit through some pretty interesting opening acts. ZZ Top, Semi Precious Weapons, Courtney Love, and now... Grimes. Her style of music is what I'd call "experimental" electronic, a blend of all genres cranked up a notch. She comes off sweet and meek, but wow... she's a powerhouse packed in a small body. Probably one of the most interesting opening acts I've seen. I would definitely call it a rave atmosphere.


Grimes

The main act, however, was more of a spiritual experience. The lead singer, Florence Welch, has an extraordinary vocal talent. I was covered in goosebumps the entire time and transfixed at her limitless energy as she ran and bounced around the stage (barefooted!). At one point she left the stage, and I was like... where did she go? Next thing I know, she's running towards me and passes right by! My knees nearly buckled.


Florence




After the concert, basking in afterglow, I flipped through the concert program and discovered that Florence has her own book club! It's called Between Two Books. Past reads include Fates and Furies, Their Eyes Were Watching God, The Great Gatsby, The Goldfinch and many others. I've always known that Florence was inspired by literature, catching references in her lyrics, so getting to know which books inspire her is very cool!

1 comment: