Monday, May 23, 2016

Julie's Journal : Book Challenges - Anne of Green Gables

One of the book challenges that I signed up for this year was the 2016 Anne of Green Gables Reading Challenge by purpleinkstudios.net/.  I've been keeping on track with this one, which means I just finished book five of the series, Anne's House of Dreams.


The Anne books take place on Prince Edward Island. Anne is an orphan who finds a home with the elderly brother/sister pair of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Through the series we get to watch Anne grow from a precocious eleven year old, to a beloved teacher, and finally to a mother who delights in her own children. I love Anne and all her adventures.  Her life has not always been easy, but she keeps a sunny outlook and finds joy in all the simple pleasures of life.  She is always ready to make new friends and is adored by all who know her.  She is funny, wise, loving, and kind.   I've read the books many times and never get tired of going back to P.E. Island to visit.

Since there are only 8 books in the main series, and 12 months out of the year, the challenge asks us to read at least two other books by L.M. Montgomery.  I am choosing to read The Blythes are Quoted, which I've never read before.  It is a collection of stories and poetry written by Anne and her family.  I also think I will read the Emily of New Moon trilogy.  It doesn't center around Anne at all, but is also about an orphan.  I've never read it either, so it should be interesting.

I'm finding this challenge easy to keep up with.  Others on my challenge list are little more difficult.  I'll be updating my progress on those soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment