Wednesday, August 7, 2013

What does the Franklin County Library mean to you? - responses (group 2)

I wanted to share a link with you that I found today in my browsing. 

http://librarieschangedmylife.tumblr.com/

As you know, I have been asking for your stories and thoughts on "What the Franklin County Library Means to You."  I was very happy to stumble across this blog with the same idea.  Believe it or not, there are many people who believe that the time of the library is over.  They believe that a library can easily be replaced with the internet and e-readers.  One such example is another article I read this morning. 

http://www.rosenblumtv.com/2013/05/whats-a-library/ 

Mr. Rosenblum wrote that the library is "Another 3000 year old institution killed by the web."   We need to prove him wrong.  Those of us who love libraries need to introduce everyone we know to the joys of the library.  Read through the responses on the "Libraries Changed My Life" blog.  If you feel so inclined, add your own and help defend a great institution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
In the meantime, here are more of your responses to my question, "What does the Franklin County Library mean to you?". 

"It's a happy go-to-meetin' place.  Being new to the area, a transplant from North Iowa, I very much appreciate your "southern hospitality" that heretofore, I had only heard about.  Not only your congeniality, but it's our local place that we can keep going to, to keep on learning.  There's so much to learn... to spark our interest.  If we ever get bored it's our own fault.  I am so thankful for you all!  Keep up the good work!  May God richly bless you!" - Virginia Brown

"The Franklin County Library is a great blessing to my family.  The staff are always very friendly and helpful.  They have a good selection of books that I enjoy, but they also have books that my kids really enjoy.  Coming to the library is a highlight for them!  They really enjoy the vault, and the summer reading program helps keep up their reading skills during the summer.  What a great resource for families!" - Richard Cox

"The Franklin Co. Library provide one with a vast amount of printed and electronic communication sources.  I enjoy the local and state newspapers, the large array of books and magazines.  It provides the capability of access to the internet.  It is a place to relax and have conversations with the always friendly library attendents.  Most of all it provides the people of Franklin Co. a source of local, state, and world activities at little or no cost to the community.  This library is a bright star shining in the Mt. Vernon landscape." - Thomas Knippenberg

"We love the library here.  We are very thankful for the friendly atmosphere and that kids are treated well.  We really have enjoyed the programs for kids like the Summer Reading and Events as well as the science on Mondays during the school year.  I also appreciate that there are new books and movies added fairly often.  The only thing I can think of that might be nice to add would be a few more things and events for the kids through out the school year.  We love the library and all you have to offer!  Thank you for all you do!" - Julie Jobe

"What a blessing it is!!  Where else can you go to travel the world and have endless adventures without spending money?  My children and I love the selection of books, movies, and puzzles.  Staff is always friendly and knowledgeable.  Franklin County Library is a Godsend and absolute gem to our community!!" - Windy Lowery and Gracie

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I am still looking for more responses, so let me know: What does Franklin County Library mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment